Related Post: The Benefits of Using Coconut Oil on Relaxed Hair
1. DetanglerI melt the coconut oil either by heating it in microwave for about 15-30 seconds or placing the jar in bowl of warm water. I then pour the oil in an applicator bottle, start applying it to my hair in sections, and use my fingers to detangle.
2. PrepooWhen I use coconut oil as a prepoo I don't typically melt the oil. Instead I rub it between my hands. and apply it in sections to my relaxed hair like I would a moisturizer. I then leave it on my hair for 20-30 minutes. Sometimes I add heat by wearing my Hot Head Deep Conditioning Cap.
3. Deep conditionAs a deep conditioner I melt the coconut oil in the microwave like I do for detangling or placing the jar in warm water and pour it into an applicator bottle. I begin applying it to my scalp first and then work my way down my hair strands paying close attention to my ends. Once I have covered my hair in the oil I put on plastic cap and either let it sit for at least an hour without heat or 20-30 minutes under heat so the oil sinks into the hair shaft.
4. SealantWhen I moisturize my relaxed hair at night between washes, I apply coconut oil to seal in the moisture. When I do this, I notice a big difference in my hair in the morning. My hair feels soft to the touch and looks shiny. Also it still feels moisturized at the end of the day.
Coconut oil tips:
- Only purchase unrefined virgin extra virgin coconut oil
- Store it in a cool dark place
- Use sparingly, a little goes a long way
What's your favorite use for coconut oil?