From my online research I found that olive oil is made by pressing the fat from olives. As I alluded to, olive oil is used in various ways - cooking, pharmaceuticals, soaps and even fuel. What makes it good for hair, especially chemically-treated hair, are the antioxidants and Vitamins E and K it contains.
Olive oil comes in various grades
- Extra virgin olive oil: This is an unrefined oil produced from the first pressing of the olives. The pressing process is called cold pressing. No chemical treatments or enhancements were used making it a higher quality oil
- Virgin olive oil: The first pressing of the olives is also used to produce this grade, but the oil has a higher acidity level than the extra virgin grade
- Pure olive oil: What this means is the oil has been made from a blend of refined and unrefined olive oil. The refining process causes the oil to lose some of the nutritional benefits making it a lesser quality grade
The grades that are most beneficial to hair are extra virgin and virgin because they contain the most nutritional benefits for the hair. The greener the oil, the better it is.
Some of the top benefits of using olive oil on colored, relaxed or natural hair are:
- Increased manageability and shine by moisturizing the hair
- Reduced scalp issues from the anti-fungal and antibacterial properties olive oil has
You can incorporate olive oil into your hair routine in the following ways:
- A hot oil treatment: It can be applied to your scalp and strands whether chemically-treated or natural. I have used olive oil several times in hot oil treatments by mixing it with other oils such as coconut oil and sunflower oil
- A frizz and split end reducer: Due to the thickness of olive oil, it can been extremely helpful and beneficial in the winter months
- A hair mask: By mixing some olive oil with a well beaten egg yolk and your favorite essential oil you can great a great pre-poo mask
Have you used olive oil on your hair before?
Resources: http://www.oliveoilexcellence.com/article/benefits-of-using-olive-oil-on-hair/, http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/olive-oil-health-benefits