To prep for my touch up, I did the following:
- A week prior I clarified with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo and deep conditioned
- I avoided irritating my scalp through scratching and excessive combing
- A couple of days before I detangled
- The morning of I based my scalp with a petroleum based hair grease and put coconut oil on my relaxed strands to help protect against relaxer run off
The day of my appointment I arrived about 15 minutes early. When I got there the stylist had one person in her chair and one at the bowl. She said she'd be with me in a few minutes which turned into 30. I was a little ticked because I'd made an afternoon appointment with the hope it wouldn't be that busy and I could get in and out in a couple of hours. If I wasn't having pictures taken the following week I would have just said forget it and walked out.
While I was waiting the stylist asked what I was going to have done, I told her a relaxer touch up. She asked how long since I'd had my last touch up. I told her 16 weeks. Her response was "16 weeks?" In a tone of disbelief. This was my first clue that she isn't a supporter of relaxer stretching. Other clues came during the appointment with other things she said about why I shouldn't go so long between touch ups.
The rest of the appointment wasn't terrible. Here's a run down of what I liked and didn't like during the appointment:
- She used Design Essentials relaxer. I've had this relaxer brand used on my hair before and saw good results
- She took extra care to make sure the relaxer was rinsed out. She washed my hair three times and took extra care to rinse each time.
- She used heat protectant before flat ironing
- She only used a small tooth comb when necessary
- She trimmed my split ends
- She didn't ask me anything about my hair, scalp or the products I use before getting starting
- She didn't use a deep conditioner
- She didn't use heat protectant before blow drying my hair
- She ran the flat iron over my hair multiple times
Outside of the things that I didn't like, I thought my hair looked good afterwards. Will I go back? Probably not?
What was your most recent salon visit like?