Related post: Why I Prefer Wearing Mineral Foundation
This is my favorite foundation! In fact it’s the only foundation I use and feel comfortable letting touch my face. I was turned onto the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation by a consultant I knew. I told her I started wearing mineral makeup a few years prior, but was having trouble finding a shade that didn’t make me look ashy. I also had issues finding foundations that provided a matte look and didn't have me looking shiny by the end of the day.
The consultant helped me find a shade that worked for my skin tone. So I started wearing it and found that I really liked it. As you can probably tell I still like it. Here's what I like about the foundation
- It comes in 12 shades and there are several options for darker complexions
- It doesn’t fade away and I’ve even worn it while working out and didn’t have it all melt away
- It goes on smoothly
- It doesn’t feel like I’m wearing a mask
- My face doesn’t look shiny after applying
- Because it’s fragrance and oil free it doesn’t irritate my skin
- The coverage is great. I can cover dark spots or blemishes
- One jar lasts a while. It can be months before I use a full jar
What I don't like
- It’s not available in stores so I can’t wait till I’m completely out to re-stock
- There aren’t any plugs for the sifter so it gets turned upside down (usually when I travel) a lot of product ends up sitting on top of the sifter which creates a mess when the jar is opened
- It’s $20 for a 0.28 oz. jar which is a lot compared to drugstore foundations
Per Mary Kay’s website their “Mineral Powder Foundation is a weightless, skin-perfecting powder that makes lines, wrinkles and other imperfections seem to disappear. You get the coverage of a foundation with the comfort of a powder. It has “buildable coverage blends effortlessly with the sweep of a brush for a flawless look.” Is “long-wearing, transfer-resistant formula won’t fade away by midday.” And “controls shine and imparts a matte finish.”
When reviewing the key ingredients list it doesn't look like the foundation includes many, if any chemicals. The key ingredients are
- “Mica is a transparent mineral that has an opalescent quality.
- Minerals occur naturally in the earth, have a lightweight texture and provide luminosity and radiance to the skin. All minerals found in nature undergo extensive purification and processing before they are incorporated into a cosmetic product.
- Boron Nitride provides a smooth, velvety feel and helps makeup wear longer.
- Dimethicone is derived from silica, provides a silky feel and helps protect skin and improve its appearance.”
On the other hand Mary Kay isn't very open about the minerals used in the foundation, but they do say the minerals go through an extensive purification and processing.
The application of mineral foundation can take some getting used to. After trial and error, and a few years, here is how I apply my foundation
- If needed, I shake some of the foundation to the top of the sifter
- I dip my foundation brush into the power
- I then shake the excess powder back into the jar by tapping the brush on the edge of the jar
- Finally I swirl the brush on my face starting with my cheeks and working down to my jawbone making sure the I blend the foundation well
What foundation do you use?