So that I don't fall into my habit of over packing, I have a list of beauty and hair care essentials that I take with me every time I go.
(This post includes affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.)
1. Hair clips and bobby pinsI use these to keep my relaxed hair in place and out of my face. I've found from past experience that using a ponytail holder or hair elastic just cause a tangled mess.
Some of my favorite hair clips are ones from Scunci because they come in three neutral colors and I can get a secure hold for my thick hair.
For bobby pins I stick with Goody because I can get several for a really good price and they don't easily slip out of my hair.
2. Hair conditionerWhile I don't take the full bottle I do put some in a smaller container for me to apply throughout the day as my relaxed hair starts to dry out from the salt water, sun and wind. The conditioner I've been using lately is the Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter Conditioner.
3. Large hatThis helps to protect my relaxed hair, face and eyes from the sun and blowing sand.
Related post: Protecting Hair Damage from the Elements
4. SunscreenI use the sport sunscreen and prefer it to be spray on. Using spray on sunscreen like the Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Spray. Using a spray keeps my hands from feeling sticky and smelling like sunscreen all day.
5. Face lotion with sunscreenMy favorite face lotion to take is the Ambi Skin Care Even & Clear Daily Moisturizer w/SPF 30. It keeps my face protected from the sun. It also helps me keep my face moisturized because my skin tends to dry out from the mixture of salt water, wind and the sun.
6. Body lotionJust like my face, the rest of my skin dries out from the wind, salt water and sun. Having lotion on hand keeps my skin moisturized throughout the day. It's also good at eliminating that ashy look you can get when your skin dries out which is handy if you're not going straight home from the beach.
7. Hand sanitizerI pretty much don't go anywhere without a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer. But do make a point to have extra on hand when spending time at the beach. Hand sanitizer comes in handy if a sink and hand soap aren't available. Or if I'm too lazy to get up and wash my hands before eating a snack.
What beauty and hair essentials do you take to the beach with you?