The ChallengeThis 30 Days without Heat Challenge was hosted by Relaxed Thairapy, Just Grow Already, and Grow It Girl and consisted of not using any direct heat tools (flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers, hot combs, etc.) for the month of October. Excessive use of direct heat typically results in dry, dull hair, split ends, and breakage.
I have been on an unofficial break from direct heat for a while, but participated in the challenge making it an official break. I've noticed that taking this break from the blow dryer and flat iron has allowed my hair to thrive.
What I DidTo participate in the challenge I did the following:
- Used my hooded dryer to dry my hair. I mostly used the high air/cool heat setting which doesn't dry out my hair. I prefer to use my hooded dryer due to my hair is not a fan of air drying.
- Used my heating cap for prep-pooing. I did this for all of my wash days except the last one for month of October. My hair always feels so good after I pre-poo with the heating cap and it's a heat safe way to condition my hair.
- Wore heat free styles. I did one braid out, wore buns, and wore several tucked under ponytails.
- My hair held moisture longer
- No split ends to report
- No major breakage (hey I'm on a relaxer stretch right now so some breakage isn't avoidable)
- My hair looks and feels thicker
- I've been mistaken for being natural! This is a funny one. I've had a few people question if I'm natural due to the texture they see in my hair. The way the question was asked it seemed like they were anticipating that I'd be offended, but I just laughed and told them I am relaxed, but I don't get my hair relaxed bone straight and I don't flat iron my hair often.