Avocado oil is made from pressing the fleshy fruit pulp around the avocado pit. It is a light oil helping it easily penetrate the scalp and a good carrier for essential oils. What makes avocado oil a true penetrating oil is that it has high levels of a fat-like substance called Lecithin.
Avocado oil is also high in vitamins and minerals that help protect and strengthen the hair, can assist with hair growth and scalp health. This is probably why more and more hair products have avocado oil in them. Some other benefits of avocado oil include:
- Hair taming: The oil is good for taming frizzy hair and can help prevent split ends
- Heat protection: Avocado oil has a high heat point - 480 degrees Fahrenheit unrefined and 520 degrees Fahrenheit refined
- Moisture: Avocado oil itself doesn't moisturize the hair, but it has high humectant properties which helps draw, retain and lock moisture in the hair
- Nourishment: The Vitamins A, D, E and postassium all help nourish the hair which can help strengthen it
- UV protection: Due to the omega-3 fatty acids it contains, avocado oil has some UV reflection properties
The great thing about avocado oil, besides what it can do for the hair, is there are many ways it can be worked into a healthy relaxed hair regimen. Here are a just a few of the ways avocado oil can be used on your hair:
Hot oil treatment by mixing it with other oils like coconut oil and tea tree oil.
Hair detangler by applying some to your strands provides some slip for working through tangles.
Deep conditioner enhancement by adding a table spoon to your deep conditioning treatment.
Sealant when moisturizing.
Have you used avocado oil?
References: http://oilypedia.com/the-amazing-benefits-of-avocado-oil-for-hair/, http://www.avocadooilforhair.net/