What is the Roku 3?A small set top box used for streaming TV, movies and music. It retails for $99.99.
What I like
- The streaming is pretty quick so it's like watching regular TV
- Easy and quick to set up
- Can connect to the internet using wireless or ethernet
- Hundreds of apps available for streaming TV, music, movies and even games (which I haven't tried)
- The remote is compact and has buttons to quickly access apps like Hulu and Netflix
- I can connect this to any TV at home or take it with me when I travel
What I don't like
- If you have to enter in any information like passwords for the apps it can take forever using the remote
- Have to pay for the better streaming services
- Device will sometimes get hung and need to be restarted
- Sometimes apps stop working for now apparent reason
- It will sometimes restart on is own
- There is no warranty for the device
Final VerdictI would not recommend buying the Roku 3 Streaming Media Player mostly because of the price and spotty performance. After two and half years the device died. It just stopped working. I tried changing the power source and the HDMI cord, but to no avail. I contacted the Roku customer service they basically said I would have to buy a new device. Roku doesn't offer any any type of production plan or warranty.
The device itself costs about $100 and you have to pay for the better streaming services which aren't always reliable. Also I would experience issues with the device where it the device would get hung and have to be restarted or it would randomly restart on its own.
Because of my experience with the Roku device I will not be replacing my dead Roku with another one. I'll be buying an Apple TV. From people I've talked to it's a much superior product and has a better warranty.
How do you watch your TV?
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this item free through a reward app. Outside of that I have not received any compensation for writing this post. Nor do I have any material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned. All opinions are my own.