What is pre-pooingIs a hair treatment that happens before you cleanse or shampoo your hair. Hence the name pre-poo. The pre-poo can be a conditioner, oil mixture or combination of the two.
Related post: How to Pre-poo Chemically-treated Hair
Why I pre-pooI started pre-pooing my hair after reading posts from several other bloggers who started doing and saw good results. I like pre-pooing because my hair doesn’t feel extremely dry after I shampoo, especially when I use a sulfate shampoo. Also, my hair tends to hold moisture better between shampoos.
I try to pre-poo once a week and most of the time I use some type of conditioner. Other times I want to get a little creative and mix some things up in my kitchen. When I do that I use one of two favorite mixes.
1. Natural oil pre-poo
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
Because this pre-poo mixture only uses oils, I’ll sometimes heat it up before applying so it doubles as a great hot oil treatment.
Related post: Non-penetrating Natural Oils for Chemically-treated Hair
2. Honey pre-pooI like to use this pre-poo when the weather gets cooler because honey is a humectant and draws moisture from the air helping to keep my hair moisturized. Because honey is sticky and can be messy I like to use a conditioner as a base and help with mixing the honey with any other ingredients I add. While I sometimes add multiple ingredients, this particularly recipe is the more common one I use.
- 5 generous squirts of a cheap rinse out conditioner (can use the rinse-out conditioner of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
Related post: The Healthy Ingredients of a Good Hair Conditioner
What are your favorite pre-poo mixes?