When summer rolls around I find myself washing my relaxed hair more. Usually at least twice a week. This is because I sweat more from working out more consistently. As well as doing more outdoor activities. My relaxed hair also dries out more from the sweat, heat and beach breezes.
To keep my from drying out and breaking I shampoo more. Particularly when my hair feels dry and icky I can't wait to experience the suds rinsing off my hair, how my hair feels and smells after using a good shampoo.
To not cause damage from constant shampooing during the summer requires a good shampoo. When deciding what shampoo I should use during the summer months I look to see if it does one of two things
- Or clarifies
1. Ion Hard Water ShampooThis 100% vegan shampoo deeply but gently cleanses to help "prevent build-up of hard and well water minerals." The Ion Hard Water Shampoo says it "reduces dryness and damage while adding shine and moisture." hair shiny, super clean and fresh."
I've just started using this shampoo and it does deeply clean my hair without drying it out. After using it my strands felt a little lighter (this could have been all in my head) and had more body and shine.
2. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing ShampooPer SheaMoisture their "African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo gently cleanses as it removes buildup from styling products and soothes dry, itchy and flaking scalp. Helps regulate sebum production. Sulfate-free."
I have stopped using this shampoo (you can see why in my review), but still think it can be a good option for clarifying relaxed hair. It's also supposed to be good for those that tend to have scalp dryness and flaking.
3. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore ShampooPer SheaMoisture this is "a clarifying, Sulfate-free shampoo that removes product build-up, while infusing hair with moisture. Leaves hair soft and shiny. Gentle enough to use every day. Promotes growth by nourishing and strengthening damaged or chemically processed hair, reducing the appearance of breakage and shedding. Apple Cider Vinegar aids in regulating and balancing pH levels on the scalp, while softening hair to promote enhanced growth."
The SheaMoisture JBCO Shampoo has become by go-to clarifying shampoo. I love that it's sulfate-free and has Jamaican black castor oil and apple cider vinegar. Two items that are good for relaxed hair. I could go on and on about this shampoo, but you can see more of my opinion in my full review.
4. Creme of Nature Sulfate-Free Moisture & Shine Shampoo with Argan OilLooking up this shampoo I found that its "sulfate-free formula hydrates hair adds shine while gently cleansing without harsh moisture stripping agents." Some key benefits of the Cream of Nature Moisture & Shine Shampoo include helping "to detangle, soften and boost shine." Also it "strengthens hair while optimizing the moisture balance of the hair and scalp."
5. Creme of Nature Straight From Eden Natural Oil-Infused Hydrating ShampooThis shampoo is "a luxurious, creamy and hydrating formula created to replenish moisture, while gently cleansing hair. This sulfate, free, natural oil-infused formula is made with conditioning oils from Coconut, Avocado and Olive."
This is from Straight from Eden line that Creme of Nature launched a couple of years ago. I've seen a few reviews of the Straight from Eden Hydrating Shampoo on relaxed hair blogs and have seen a lot of great things about it. So it's a shampoo that is on my list of products to try.
6. Elasta QP Creme Conditioning ShampooThis "Vitamin-rich, Creme Conditioning Shampoo effectively cleanses the hair and maintains the properties essential for maximum health of normal and chemically treated hair." Benefits include detangling, restoring hairs proper pH and moisturizing. It is also good to use in hard water areas.
In reading about this shampoo, it's not one I use, I like that it has avocado, coconut and olive oil. I also think pH balancing is a huge benefit especially for wash days right after a relaxer touch up.
7. KeraCare Hydrating and Detangling ShampooThis shampoo claims to "gently detangle and soften hair; moisturize the hair as it conditions; remove excess oils from the hair and scalp without over-stripping; help to minimize hair breakage; seal the hair cuticle as it repairs damaged hair."
The KeraCare Hydrating and Detangling Shampoo is another one I haven't used yet, but have it seen it listed in the regimens of several relaxed hair bloggers. And when looking into it online I've seen some really good reviews for it talking about how well it lathers and detangles.
8. SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration ShampooPer SheaMoisture this shampoo "cleanses while infusing hair with intense moisture and shine-enhancing nutrients. Certified Organic Shea Butter, Honey, Mafura and Baobab are blended into a rich formulation of restorative oils to soften and revitalize hair. Antioxidant-rich African Rock Fig helps boost hydration while protecting distressed hair from environmental influences."
I use the SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo regularly. It really is a hydration shampoo as it doesn't strip my relaxed hair and leaves it feeling moisturized even if I don't use a conditioner afterwards. You can read more about why I like this shampoo in my review.
Related post: Product Review: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey Shampoo
What's your favorite shampoo?