What is pre-pooingApplying a conditioning treatment before cleansing to add moisture to chemically-treated or natural hair. The conditioning treatment will be rinsed out, but it provides some protection to strands prior to the manipulation of cleansing.
Natural oils or conditioner can be used as a pre-poo. Or a homemade conditioning cocktail can be made by mixing together favorite natural oils, conditioners and ingredients found in the kitchen like honey, yogurt, avocado or coconut milk.
- Helps with detangling before cleansing/shampooing
- Can soften dirt and residue on the hair helping them to wash away easier during cleansing
- Eliminates the squeaky clean feeling by preventing shampoos from stripping hair of all moisture
Why I pre-pooI hadn't heard about pre-pooing until I began my healthy hair journey and was researching tips on blogs and vlogs. When I first started pre-pooing I was using natural oils like olive oil and rinse out conditioners by either applying them separately or mixing them together and applying the mix to my hair.
Since I started pre-pooing I've kept it a key step in my wash day. The few times I haven't pre-pooed I've noticed a difference in how my hair reacts and feels during cleansing and afterwards. When I pre-poo I'm able to fully detangle my relaxed hair, it feels more moisturized during and after cleansing and keeps that feeling longer between my wash days.
Related post: How to Pre-poo Chemcially-treated Hair
Products I use to pre-poo
- Oil mix of sunflower oil, olive oil and tea tree oil
- Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner (my review)
- Suave Professionals Natural Infusions with Macadamia Oil & White Orchid Moisturizing Conditioner (my review)
Here are some products I've used in the past to pre-poo
- Coconut oil
- L'Oreal Paris Ceramide Total Repair 5 Restoring Conditioner (my review)
- Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner (my review)
Sometimes I'll keep the product on overnight, but most times I pre-poo for an hour or so and may sit under my hooded dryer or use my hot head conditioning cap to get the most from the pre-poo.
What do you use to pre-poo?